Saturday, July 28, 2012

In Progress



I've been working on this painting in tiny bits and pieces for months.  It's difficult to truly get any headway when I'm only painting about an hour every week, and working on ten different pieces at the same time.  That is how I work though: I could never work on just one piece until completion.  That would drive me nuts.  I'm just pulled in a lot of different directions right now (right now?  How about the last 3 years?):  day job, kids, house stuff, and I'm putting together a benefit art auction to raise money for my friend Leslie.  I have to say that focusing has never been one of my strong points.  Look!  Something shiny!!  And there I go, veering off onto yet another fascinating path with multiple forks into others.  Lost in a maze of my own design.

I'm sure I've gone on about this before, but when I'm driving in the car or while I'm making dinner or even when I'm on the phone I daydream about painting.  I feel like I have a million glorious ideas for composition and color and subject matter, a whole universe of 'em.  Then I absolutely stall in front of the easel, unable to even start on one of them.  I've tried a different approach by sketching ideas out, trying to have something there in hand when I start a new painting, something to refer to.  It just doesn't work! I lose interest and the sparkling idea I had just fades;  becoming dull and boring and non-sparkling.  Argh.  It's frustrating.  It's like everything is better in my head and I can't translate it into something tangible.  And don't get me started on my actual dreams; so vivid and real and begging to be painted.

I know other painters must have similar frustrations.  I wish I knew how more of them deal with it.  I'm sure not having time (or making more time) to paint is contributing to my blockage.  Maybe I need an artist's retreat.  That sounds lovely.  I'd probably spend the time trying to catch up on sleep, though!


1 comment:

Purrr said...

Oh. I know exactly how you feel. Real life is such a distraction! I wish I had an answer for you. It is strange when you have dreams and visions about paintings when you have no possibiity of putting them to canvas, then when you have the canvas right there, nothing materialises. Maybe we inherently just want what we can't have haha! Your paintings are wonderful. Thank you for keeping at it! x