Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's Shaking?

"Discordant"
Oil on illustration board
4"x6" 



"A Gray Afternoon in 1988"
Oil and graphite on illustration board
4"x6"




Hm, I sense a theme here.  Waxing nostalgic perhaps.  It makes me smile to see the younger set referring back to the 80's for their fashion and style inspirations, but it also makes me feel old and curmudgeonly.  Anyhoo, these two lovely little ladies will be available in my Etsy shop this Friday, August 3rd at 2pm central.


I don't really get super excited about the Olympics, but I do like watching the opening ceremonies.  I like a little pageantry and pomp as well as anyone, I suppose.  I really did enjoy Friday's event; good music, cool visuals--it was fun.  I think that's what I came away with anyway, a sense of fun and good-will.  Isn't that what this is supposed to be about anyway?  I wish it would last longer than a couple of weeks every few years, though.  We need more of that feeling in our world.  AND I discovered some new music (I'm always excited when that happens).  During the filmed sequence of Beckham on the speedboat with the torch--which I thought looked awesome, by the way---I heard something vaguely familiar-sounding playing in the background.  I turned to tha interwebs (which reminds me of the horribly frustrating times I had trying to identify bands and songs in the 80's and 90's.  Just one way in which my life has improved, haha) and discovered it was someone I'd never heard of:  David Holmes.  The song is "I Heard Wonders".  Here's a video someone made with footage from Bullitt:



It's a really good song, makes me think a little of The Ocean Blue, a little Echo and the Bunnymen, maybe a teeny bit Jesus and Mary Chain.  So yeah, I dig it.

1 comment:

Skylar Magazine said...

Hey Amy, I'm Sarah, my blog is Skylar Magazine. This is my first time visiting, I've also visited your lovely Etsy store. I am very impressed with your art! I have always been fascinated with paintings and illustrations of people. The women in your paintings are so beautiful, I'm kind of envious, I especially love the ones from past era's, from way back when, when women were so classy and more covered up. I'm impressed with how realistic they are, they are so detailed, their features and everything look so life-like. Anyway, I am an art lover, I could go on and on all day about it, but you have a new fan!

I'm always looking for artists and creative individuals and Etsy shops to feature, promote and work with in any way I can. I don't want to spam you, but if you would like you are welcome to visit my blog at the link below and if you are ever interested or have any questions, you can always get a hold of me via email, or my other networks.

http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/p/sponsor-us.html

Thank you and have a fabulous week!

Sarah